Google Analytics – A powerful tool to evaluate SEO performance
To know whether your SEO efforts are going to pay off and take your business to newer heights, you need to keep a close watch on the performance of your strategies. The success of any SEO campaign depends upon how well you are able to gauge the users’ experience after they have visited your website. Google Web Analytics is a powerful tool that helps you to assimilate and analyse all relevant data related to user behaviour with respect to your website. The information that you gather can be used to modify your SEO strategies so as to make it more effective and likeable to users thereby improving its ranking in search results.
Google Web Analytics gives complete insight into user behaviour that act as pointers regarding the performance of different pages of your website. All activities of visitors to your website are logged and the data captured by Google Web Analytics which are then displayed in various combinations. The data tells you about the number of page views, how much time users spend on your website, when they leave the website and much more. All this help you to feel the pulse of visitors. By analysing the data you will be able to assess the highs and lows of the SEO campaign and make suitable modifications so that its popularity and ranking gets a boost.
How does it help?
• Traffic flow – Monitoring the flow of web traffic becomes easy as you can compare progressive data to ascertain the level of performance of websites and SEO campaigns. Depleting numbers would indicate a decline in performance and it is time to take corrective action.
• Quality of content – Data regarding time spent by visitors on individual pages and the most viewed pages would help you to assess the need for improvement in content quality of some pages that you might feel visitors should spend more time on.
• Keyword – Keyword performance can be judged by analysing the data regarding referring keywords, which means, you know about the keywords that draw maximum traffic to your website and can make suitable changes so that rankings are improved.
• Link building – Get insight about the source of traffic from other websites and this contributes in developing your link building strategy as you can identify the websites from where traffic originates.
• User friendliness – You can gauge how much user friendly your website is by analysing the Click path data. Making improvements in navigating the website can increase its user friendliness and attract more traffic.
• Goals monitoring – You can set up conversion goals and start monitoring it with the help of Google Analytics. You come to know about your performance in achieving the goals and can make changes in your SEO strategy for improvement.
The data collated by Google Web Analytics are presented in the form of different reports. You can select the type of report according to the driving parameters of your SEO campaign. The reports come in different forms and you can select the type that is easy for you to understand. Choosing a specific type of report allows you to focus on specific parameters that you are interested to know.
Types of Reports
• Custom reports – The analysis of organic search can be viewed in this type of report which is the most standard one. You can create your report by clicking on the Customisation menu on your website profile available in Google Analytics and then selecting New Custom Report to configure your report. The parameters of the report can be chosen according to your needs and typically it could comprise of number of sessions, time spent on page and goal completions.
• Dashboards – This is the most comprehensive report that is generated in widgets and contains data from various reports that are compiled in a single page. The report can be seen by clicking on the Dashboards menu that appears in the left sidebar menu. Parameters pertaining to search overviews, search trends and demographic origins of searches can be viewed on Dashboards.
• Segments – Segments focus only on traffic from search results and is created by filtering data obtained from other reports. To obtain this report, it is just enough to select the Add Segment button in the Google Analytics report and click on it. This is followed by configuring the report for traffic only.
Storehouse of reports
If paucity of time prevents you from creating your own reports in Google Analytics, then you can select the appropriate one from Google Analytics Solutions Gallery. This is a collection of reports that contains hundreds of reports created and used by SEO experts. This is a valuable resource that can save you the time and effort in creating a report on your own.
Add a dash to Google Analytics
There are several plugins available that can simplify the use of Google Analytics. Making use of any of these plugins will surely speed up the process of implementation of Google Analytics and make it more efficient. These are more useful for advanced data analysis using Google Analytics Tracking and would be of interest to those who are tech savvy and ready to explore complex dimensions of data analysis. For a simpler experience of implementation of Google Analytics that also saves money and time, try out any of the following plugins that automatically add the necessary code of Google Analytics on your website.
• Google Analytics Drupal – This plugin is developed on Drupal and adds the features of tracking web statistics to your website.
• Yoast WordPress Plugin – Speeds up and simplifies the use of Google Analytics.
• Easy Google Analytics – Best for websites based on Joomla.
• Google Universal Analytics – This WordPress plugin makes adding of Google Analytics code to your website very easy.
• Innovative Google Analytics – Asynchronous version – The Google Analytics code is automatically added to your website when this plugin is used.
Using Google Analytics is the only way to read the minds of your target audience that is critical to the success of any SEO campaign.